Forty Hours

You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him discover it within himself. - Galileo Galilei

Saturday, April 05, 2008

GPS for your Phone

YOU'VE probably heard a lot about mobile phones with GPS (Global Positioning System) capabilities. But alas, the phone that you bought just a few months back doesn't have GPS, and your subscription contract doesn't allow you to trade your phone in just yet.

As an alternative, you can try the Nokia Bluetooth GPS module LD-4W. It's a GPS receiver that can be used with compatible Bluetooth phones, Nokia or otherwise. Just make sure your phone supports Bluetooth v2.0 with EDR, Serial Port Profile, and NMEA 0183 v3.01 protocol

Nokia Bluetooth GPS Module LD-4W

The LD-4W is a simple gadget. On the device, there're only a power button, charging port, and three LED indicators for power, Bluetooth and GPS status. I liked its clean and slim design, which looks very much like the original iPod Nano, except that it's slightly shorter.

There are a couple of useful accessories included in the box. For one, car drivers can stick the module to their vehicle windscreen with a suction cup. If you're on foot, use the belt clip or keyring. It's even splash proof, but not waterproof, so don't go jumping into the pool with it.

Unfortunately, only a car charger, not a conventional wall charger, was bundled with the device.

I tested the device with a Nokia N81 and a HTC Touch. On the N81, which already had Nokia Maps preinstalled, it was a pretty straightforward affair. I just had to pair it like I would with any other Bluetooth device.

For a list of compatible Nokia phones, check Nokia's website. Maps are free for download, but you'll have to pay for the optional Voice Navigation feature.

Getting it to work with the HTC (which was installed with Windows Mobile 6 Professional) involved a few more steps. I had to download and install MapKing (most navigation software should work though) and set the Com port manually.

Next, I stuck the GPS module to my car windscreen and I was ready to go. I used a car holder to hold the phone - Nokia has a couple of these available, but a generic one will do.

The module typically took about three minutes or so to latch on to a GPS signal from a cold start - similar to other GPS devices that I have tested. Although I would lose the GPS signal whenever I entered the CTE underground tunnel, it managed to re-lock on quickly when my car emerged from the tunnel. And to my surprise, it even worked when I slipped it into my trousers pocket while on foot.

FINAL SAY

If you've been hankering for a GPS gadget, the LD-4W is probably one of the best solutions if you have a compatible phone.

By Melvin Seah

Labels: ,

Google
 
Web forty-hours.blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home